The following are questions we are frequently asked by people. If you cannot find the answer to your question we would be happy to assist you. Give us a call on (09) 366 6860 or email

Frequently Asked Questions

How long has Focus Law been in business in New Zealand?

Our principal Eva Ho first established Focus Law in July 2005. Originally from Hong Kong, Eva graduated with a law degree from the University of London.

Does Focus Law cover all areas of the law?

Focus Law specializes in commercial, property, subdivision, employment, family law, migration as well as civil litigation. It has an affiliate relationship with Michael Kan Law, which handles criminal cases.

Will I be understood?

Our team speaks Mandarin, Cantonese, Shanghainese and English.

I want to set up a family trust and a will – can you do this?


I have separated with my partner and we need to sort out our properties. Do you have experience in this?

Yes. We have handled many cases inside and outside of court, successfully dividing properties for our clients.

My children are caught in between the separation with my partner. We are unable to reach agreement on parenting arrangement, can you help me?

Yes. We can help you reach agreement with the other parent. If that doesn’t work, we can make an application for you at the Family Court.

I have been the victim of family violence for some time, I do not know where to turn for help. Can you assist me?

Apart from the New Zealand Police, who may be able to give you immediate protection, we can help you apply for, or defend, protection order proceedings.

My staff is not coming back to work on time, she also takes long lunches and her performance is really wanting. Can I fire her?

An employer must be careful in terminating employment of staff members. The Employment Relations Act set out grounds when an employee can lay a personal grievance complaint if there are no substantive ground of dismissal, or if procedural fairness is wanting. Talk to us more and we will ensure you minimize your risks while running your business.

I have just been made “redundant”, but I think I have been treated unfairly. Do you take employment cases?

Yes. New Zealand employment law is solid and you should consult with us to get an understanding of what rights you have and whether you have a case to either take it to mediation, or to take it further against your employer.

I want to buy a house at auction. Can you help me through that process?

Yes. We do this very often and know the process well. Please do not go to an auction without talking to a lawyer as you may be on a road of no return if you successfully bid for a property at an auction.

Contact Us

If you would like to make a query or book a consultation, please contact us by calling 09 366 6860, emailing, or filling out our secure and confidential contact form.